Monday, July 7, 2008

Back in the Saddle Again

I apologize for the recent break in blog posts, but my new job gave us a fabulous 4-day weekend to enjoy. I had lots of fun with my friends, ate way too many burgers/hot dogs, and tried to stay cool in my oven of an apartment. A slight recap on some interesting stuff I noticed over the past few days.

First, how about them Dodgers? After winning their 3rd series in a row (Angels, Astros & Giants) we're back at home. At only 2 games below .500, my boys in blue seem to have turned a corner. Not to mention, my #1 favorite player Nomar has returned from the DL. Here's to hoping he'll play on Thursday when I go to see them battle the Florida Marlins. I don't know if its Joe Torre finally making a difference, but I'm looking forward to the second half of the season. It was great to see them beat those good for nothing GIANTS yesterday!!! (BTW- What's with the Giants and chubby players, Bengie Molina needs to work on his gut.)


As for politics, it seemed like a pretty mellow weekend. John McCain's trip to Mexico and Columbia was completely overshadowed by the rescue of the hostages from the FARC. I can't wait until the made-for-tv-movie on Lifetime about Ingrid Betancourt comes out! I'm sure Angelina Jolie will play the lead in the Hollywood version, considering she's our most "ethnic" looking actress these days. This morning my heart jumped into my throat when I heard Obama's plane had to make an emergency landing in St. Louis, but it seems that it was just normal mechanical problems. Finally, my favorite economist Paul Krugman has another excellent take on why the economy has tanked recently and whether its fair to blame President Bush, check it out here.

And finally on a sad note, is what Bean calls the Summer of Death. He has been keeping a running tab on how many people (mostly famous) have already died this summer. I've been shocked to see the number of shootings that have taken place all over the Southland. Even in my very own Ye Olde Friendly Town a woman was shot in her home yesterday. Plus, the Amber Alert was after a guy shot his ex-wife in the face and took off with the kid to Mexico. I feel like everyone is trigger happy these days. Good thing we have the genius Supremes to read the Constitution and interpret it from the point of view, of slave-owning Aristrocrats 230 years ago, surely they knew what's best for us in the 21st century.

Hope everyone had a fabulous 4th of July! I'm already counting down the days until my next 3-day weekend for Labor Day. 56 days to go!

No comments: